Volunteering: What’s Involved?
Every year, AACA has been benefited from the volunteer’s contributions. AACA has been Volunteers play an important role in supplementing the services that AACA staff provide. AACA has a variety of volunteer opportunities available. Start getting involved today and make a difference!
To apply for a volunteer position, please fill out the Volunteer Interest Form.
Volunteer at AACA
• ESOL Tutors
Tutors work with beginner or high intermediate level English language learners on writing, reading, listening, and speaking (including pronunciation). Bilingual ability in Chinese is a plus, but is not required for tutorials.
1) Tutoring Beginning ESOL – student knows little English, bilingual ability in Mandarin or Cantonese a plus
2) Tutoring Intermediate- student has some background in English
3) Tutoring Advanced- student is proficient in basic English
Tuesday – Friday, 10:30am – 11:30am and 1:00pm – 2:00pm. Other times may be available as well. Please email Scarlett Wu, Volunteer Coordinator, if other times work better for you.
• ESOL Conversation Group Partner
Helping facilitate casual conversation groups of 3-5 ESOL students.
Tuesday 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
• ESOL Writing Tutor
1) Preferably a current college student or someone with strong essay writing skills (native speaker preferred but not required) to work with college bound students who just graduated from AACA’s highest level of ESOL classes.
2) Helping students who expressed an interest in staying together over the summer and working on essay writing skills, reading skills, note taking and general college readiness.
Tuesday- Friday, 1:00pm – 3:00pm, 1 afternoon per week
• Job Training Program Tutor:
Tutors advance students in job training program (Students may need help in English conversation, pronunciation, grammar, writing, or math)
• Class Assistant:
1) Computer Lab Monitor
Supervising students / clients in open lab hours. Computer skills required.
2) In-Class Assistant
Assisting regular classroom teacher during ESOL, job search class, or computer class.
• Graphic Designer Intern
1) Assisting in designing and producing print and electronic materials related to the organization’s program development, Sampan Newspaper and marketing needs.
2) Creating invitations, flyers, and program for events, brochures, posters.
3) Knowledge of InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop or WordPress.
• Reporter Intern
1) Going to events, interviewing people and take photos
2) writing articles, reporting events, editing and proofreading
3) Excellent English listening, speaking, reading and writing skill. Bilingual ability in Mandarin or Cantonese is a plus.
• Translator Intern
Chinese-English translation and proofreading for articles and advertisements
• Advertisement Assistant Intern
1) Photocopying, filing, and faxing
2) Answering telephones, communicating and negating with clients.
3) Designing, writing and proofreading the content of print advertisements
4) Basic knowledge of InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop or WordPress highly preferred. Bilingual ability in Mandarin or Cantonese is a plus.
This is a great opportunity for aspiring journalists, advertisement executives and copy-editors, as well as students who are interested in journalism and marketing. Bilingual in English and Chinese highly preferred. Must be able to work collaboratively in deadline-oriented environment. Volunteers can work off-site.
• Childcare Volunteer
1) Must be a Mandarin native speaker.
2) Observing and monitoring children’s daily activities.
3) EEC CORI required.
Social Worker Opportunities:
• Social Worker Intern
1) Helping with case management, advocacy, and resource development for the low- income clients that the department serves.
2) Bilingual ability in Mandarin or Cantonese highly preferred.
• Front Desk Intern
1) Greeting visitor, answering phone calls and inquiries about the organization or clients’ appointments
2) Scheduling appointments, routing calls to employees.
3) Data entry, filing, organizing client database
• Development Intern
1) Conducting research, grant writing, fundraising.
2) Event planning and other clerical helps
3) Managing AACA’s social media profiles and presence, including Facebook, Twitter, and additional channels that may be deemed relevant.
4) Managing, designing and updating webpage
Please note: these volunteer positions are not paid positions. Thank you for your interest in volunteering at AACA!
How to Apply:
1. Volunteer Interest Form.
2. Resume (if available)
Resume should be sent to Georgiana Tam, Office Manager, at email@example.com .
Alternatively, you can contact:
Tel: (617)-426-9492 ext. 203
When you contact us, please and indicate your availability and which positions you are most interested in.
This post is also available in: Chinese (Traditional)