|Location||79 Coddington St.
Quincy, MA 02169
|Employee Type||Non-Exempt PT|
|Job Category||Arts & Education|
We are currently seeking a knitting instructor with knowledge and experience with the fundamentals of knitting such as yarn and needle choices, basic stiches, casting on/off, etc. to teach a class for teens and adults ages 15+. Previous experience working with adults and teens in a supportive, creative environment preferred.
- PROGRAM EXECUTION
- Requires prior experience with knitting and leading groups in an adult learning
- Demonstrated experience working with teens and adults from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent leadership skills including an ability to command respect and motivate.
- Flexibility to meet changing needs and priorities as they occur.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Must be able to successfully pass a background check.
- MEMBERSHIP ENGAGEMENT & DEVELOPMENT
- Represent the YMCA and interact with members in a friendly, engaging and professional manner.
- Educate members of all policies and procedures of the YMCA and arts department.
- Build relationships with and among members.
- Respond to inquiries and resolve problems. If unable to resolve, connect to correct person to resolve.
- Create a safe and supportive community environment.
- Present a professional manner through a neat and clean appearance and proper attire as outlined in the membership dress code policy.
- FACILITY MANAGEMENT
- Maintain a clean and organized classroom space.
- Record and report any faulty equipment and /or lapse of maintenance to the proper people.
- VOLUNTEER DEVELOPMENT
- Builds and develops volunteer capacity, sharing the social responsibility.
- COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT & SUPPORT
Assist in YMCA fund raising activities/events, and engage in collaborative relationships with community organizations in order to strengthen support and build community.
- Diversified knowledge of various textile arts, such as knitting, crochet, etc. and other art mediums.
- Good teaching skills, which make classes interesting for pupils and encourages them to participate.
- The ability to develop positive, effective working relationships with staff and supervisors.
YMCA COMPETENCIES – LEADER
Mission and Community Oriented – Accepts and demonstrates YMCA values. Work effectively with people of all backgrounds and levels. Willingness to serve and fulfill community needs. Recruit volunteers and build supportive relationships with them.
People Oriented – Remains calm in challenging situations and seeks to understand the underlying cause. Speaks and writes effectively. Develops rapport, relates well and takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Results Oriented – Discovers ideas to create and deliver a high-value member experience. Makes sound judgments, establishes goals, supports fundraising, and adheres to budgeting procedures
Personal Development – Recognizes personal strengths and limitations, pursues self-development and demonstrates flexibility.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand; walk and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, or crouch.